Saturday, January 28, 2012

Let's get started - Werribee Park and Grampians

 In the following post I would like to tell you more about the next days and their highlights. Ih hope I can remember everything and can give you a point of view of the wunderful south of Australia.
 At late afternoon december 18th we started our trip. This day we had enough sleep (especially Martin). First we spend a bit at the car to finish it totally - packed boxes, stored bags and decorated for christmas. About 5 p.m. we started. But where we are going? Martin didn't told me the whole route, wherefore I sat at the passenger seat kind of unoriented and followed him in the dark. After two hours we stopped next to the sea on a parking area - "We will stay here this night!". I couldn't see anything this night and it started raining, but that was ok. Because I was cold and I wouldn't go out of the car to take a shower in Martins self built shower, I held my feed in the rain to clean them - it took a while to remove the soap, but with the help of Martins water tank it was ok.
Our first night in the car - I had to acclimate to the parking-area-sleep. After one hour without a sleep lying next to Martin (he could sleep very good) I could enjoy the wunderful bed. We have been in the south-west of Mebourne. Our next stop should be an extensive hilly landscape called Grampians.  On the way we stopped at a park - the Werribee Park. I didn't really know what should come - it was an insider tip of the lonely planet tourist guide. Martin went there before and liked it. I was thrilled. There was a huge rose garden with more than 5000 rose bushes - there are arranged as a big Tudor rose. It smelled like heaven and we ambled thru enjoying the park and the silence. My nose was not used to so much fresh air!
We took photos of nearly every rose bush and afterwards we went thru the Werribee Park Gatelodge. It's a huge old estate that is rebuilt to a hotel. Martin had to write a essay about it. I really liked it and enjoyed the hours together with my sweetheard.
From there we went to the Grampians - but first I had my first driving lesson in a left controlled campervan. I tried to drive from the parking area to the next big street and I really have to say that this was enough as a first experience. To change gears with the left hand at the steering wheel, to drive on the left handsite and that all with a very spongy  handling was enough for the first time. I was glad and was all in a sweat, but I felt good. From this time Martin could drive Smoothie again.
On the way to the Grampians we drove thru many little nice villages and in one of these has been a wunderful town hall. Later we had to refuel the first time - unfortunately this petrol station was closed and we had to drive on to Halls Gap. There we have been disappointed too because in this tiny little village everything closes at 7 p.m. - we arrived at the petrol station at 7.10 p.m.! We have been too late and had to stay in Halls Gap until next morning. We stayed at a parking area next to the petrol station because we hadn't enough fuel to go to the next open petrol station. But it could be worse because Halls Gap is famous for their kangurus browsing in the front gardens and jumping thru the whole village - hard to believe but it is true. On the way to Halls Gap we saw a big pack on a field at the roadside already. Being fascinated and well prepared with our zoom lens we made a stop to took some wunderful shots. Enjoy them on my german blog!
In Halls Gap I had the chance to stand right next to them very close. There was big meadow next to a camping site - there were plenty of kangurus and their babies. They have been so distracted with browsing that I could go closer and closer. That was THE chance... After these awesome shots we went further in search of a sleeping berth. After two days without a shower we felt dirty and wanted to take shower and wash hair. Unfortunately we couldn't find an open camping site. That's why we decided to ask everywhere if we could just use the bathroom for a shwoer withour staying over night. We found a hostel where we could take a shower for just 15 bucks. That was very refreshing and we could start our search for a nice sleeping place. Like I told before we stayed next to the petrol station and next to the information office. The advantages of this location: We will definitely have new fuel next morning, we could use the toilets next to the information office and we could enjoy our noodles as dinner on the parking area.

Next morning we started our discovery tour thru the Grampians, but this ist another story.
See you soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment